Monday, February 20, 2012

The fruit market- Mama.

Maybe my favorite part of Kolkata was just around the corner from our hotel- the morning fruit market.
Everyone gets up very early and heads down to buy fruits, vegetables grains, milk and even chickens for the day. you honestly never have to leave your street.
Within two blocks of our hotel, we checked the internet, bought new memory cards for the camera, loaded up on snacks at the Reliance Fresh, got our eyebrows threaded, bought new socks, and probably anything else we could have imagined to do. Aunt Mary Ellen even got Henry an Angry Birds t-shirt at a shop across the street. What else could you need?
Also within 2 blocks? The welcoming home of Kingkini's parents. Kirity took us out to the market to show us around. I think this was a jack fruit.
You've never seen so much produce in your life. Dare I say, this may have even put the Madison Farmers' Market to shame, and it was just some little daily street market.
Who am I kidding? No one there was selling doughnuts and cheese curds. (Though on the last day we did find a shop named the Big Boss where we ate some awesome food- non of which I can remember the names of now.)
Since Indians are up at the crack of dawn, but don't eat breakfast until 9am, we had to wander down tot he market to find some sustenance to tide us over until the dosas were served.
Here's out chikoo guy. These little fruits had the texture of a pear and tasted like brown sugar. And the awesome staff at the hotel kitchen would always wash them and cut them up for us.

Another fan favorite was the coconut. For about 10 rupees (about 20 cents), this guy would hack the end off a coconut and hand you a straw.
When you were done toasting the morning and sipping out the delicious coconut water, you gave it back.
Then he'd cut the coconut open, fashion a spoon out of the shell and you'd eat the meat inside. I wish I had a machete that sharp.

And to indulge us tourists, the morning ended with a bike rickshaw ride. Along with the auto rickshaw, this was a fast way to get around because you could squeeze down back alleys. Though once our rider had to get off and kick the axle back on the carriage. I hope we didn't break it.

No comments:

Post a Comment